How do I get rid of Mold and Mildew?
There are definite steps you should take to prevent mold and mildew occurring in your home or property and there are steps you also need to take if you suspect mold is starting to grow.
Following are a few steps you can take if you already suspect you have a mold situation.
- Identify the location of the mold
- Depending on the severity of the mold, an air quality test maybe necessary
- Locate the cause of the mold and rectify the source to prevent molds from returning.
- Contain the area and safely remove contaminated materials from area wearing protective equipment.
- Remediate remaining building materials (structure) if necessary by washing, or sanding, or grinding and in extreme cases, sand blasting.
- Replace / rebuild all removed finishing materials
How can I prevent mold and mildew from growing?
Every home has house dust and every home has mold spores floating throughout the air. Fortunately due to our drier climate in Alberta this means mold is typically not a problem.
The only time the mold spores start to become a problem is when they start growing due to extra moisture in the area.
This is why most mold problems commonly occur, or start, it bathrooms, kitchens or around laundry areas where water is present.
Whether it’s a leaky tap or broken pipe all it takes is a little moisture to turn a minor problem into a huge problem.
The key to getting rid of mold is to control the moisture by fixing any water problems that you may have and to do this as quickly as possible. what may appear to be a minor problem on the surface, may have far reaching implications behind the walls or under the floors where you cannot easily see.
As part of our mold removal & remediation services, Mayken has all the equipment required to help you contain a mold problem or to prevent mold from overtaking an area.
If you need help with a mold problem please call us at 403-272-1995 today.